- Monotheism just thinks of everyone else as an infidel to be saved. Hence its obsession with conversion.
- The monotheistic god comes across as a psycho sadistic despot.
- They are close to all reasoning beyond what their books say.
- Hinduism is open and welcoming to all people, a smart guy like carl sagan is also impressed how hindus get the age of universe almost right(or close).
- They value education.
- They are mostly highly pacifist.
- They practice live and let live most of the time.
- They speak and understand better english! This alone would have I feel made india somewhat a nation of readers.
- They become true and proper atheists when confronted with some good arguments.
In Hindu polytheism, a single principle, Atman, controls the myriad gods and spirits, humankind and the biological and physical world, Atman is the eternal essence or soul of the entire universe, as well as of every individual and every phenomenon.
The fundamental insight of polytheism, which distinguishes it from monotheism, is that the supreme power governing the world is devoid of interests and biases, and therefore it is unconcerned with the mundane desires, cares and worries of humans. It’s pointless to ask this power for victory in war, for health or for rain, because from it all-encompassing vantage point.
The greeks did not waste any sacrifices on Fate. and Hindus built no temples to Atman.
Most hindus are not sadhus. They are sunk deep in the morass of mundane concerns, where the atman is not much help. For assistance in such matters, hindus approach the gods with their partial powers.
Precisely because their powers are partial rather than all-encompassing, gods such as ganesha, lakshmi etc have interests and biases. Humans can therefore make deals with these partial powers and rely on their help in order to win wars and recuperate from illness.
- A family I know has been welcoming the ganpati for 3 yrs now, and this year a family member has been hit with cancer, they were already struggling with finances, then cancer and then comes gannu. One would think they could connect the dots and see that mr.gannu is not really interested in “removing their obstacles”. Alas, they are still at it. Bankrupt but at it.
- A christian family would have enough sense to just have a few drinks less for christmas but gannu unlike jesus just won’t put up with that. Not inviting him after inviting for 2 yrs means a great misery will befall on you (like cancer?). Is that any different than the monotheistic psycho desert god yahweh?